Type: University South Africa
Semester: 5 (2015)
Skills: Illustrator, Packaging
– Redesign a packaging of a south african product in one week.
In need of a real challenge, I choose to redesign the Ava Secrets tampon’s packaging. Researches online (forums, discussions, reviews) and offline (asking friends and sneaking around stores observing the customer behaviour) has proven that a huge amount of women still have issues buying tampons in public. They consider it as an embarrassing product to buy.
I came to following conclusion:
- Girls often bundle tampons with at least 2 other items that are not embarrassing.
- 91% of times the packaging is placed upside down on cash out to hide the product image.
- => Create a product that is not obvious when face down.
- Girls with tampons in their basket will go to cashier of the same sex if available.
- Tampons which show “urgent” or similar are bought less.
- => Don’t write urgent or other embarrassing keywords on it. Keep the face non obtrusive.
- The packaging is inspected in detail while being on the toilet as a pass time.
- => Write an appealing text on the back and give a link to the website.
- The packaging should be quick and painless.
So here is what I came up with:
– There was a tampon drawn on the face of the old packaging, however, as studies show, girls don’t want others to see what they are buying. So I removed everything obtrusive from the packaging.
– I kept the baroque style which was intended by the original design but made it better. See the logo (left old, right new):
– I reduced the time and effort on opening the package and taking tampons out (top old, bottom new):
– I removed anything that remembers tampons when faced down:
- Figuring out which product to redesign.
- Point out problems.
- Make it better.
Study on different packaging styles and opening types:
Decision to stick with a pull out method:
Get the dimensions of the old packaging:
Build a dummy:
Create a ready to print file:
Go to the printer (always a headache) and finish it.